By: Kelvin Yeung MPT, BSc.Kin
As mentioned in our previous blog, there are many benefits to stretching. I'm a big fan of stretching. You can stretch during a break at work, watching TV, or before you go to bed. In today's post, I'll be showing you my top 3 upper body stretches.
Before starting, some tips when stretching **:
- Remember to breathe while stretching.
- Stretch until you feel tension but no pain.
- Try to hold a stretch for 30 seconds.
- Repeat stretches 2-3 times throughout the day.
(Click on the images below to enlarge)
NECK STRETCH- Upper Trapezius
- Tuck your chin into your chest.
- Drop your left ear to your left shoulder. Use your left hand to gently pull your head to the side.
- Hold stretch for 30 seconds. Repeat on the other side.
UPPER BACK STRETCH
- Clasp your hands straight in front of you at shoulder height.
- Pull your hands away from your body, and hold this stretch. Don't let your body move.
- Drop your head gently forward to feel a stronger stretch.
- Stand between a doorway and place one foot in front of the other.
- Place your hands on either side of the doorway at about shoulder height.
- Lean forward into the doorway and hold this stretch.
- You can use the corner of a wall as well.
** Please note, the stretches outlined in this post are provided as a guide. Please seek guidance from your physiotherapist before starting new exercises. If you are interested in beginning a personalized stretching program, please speak with one of the therapists at our clinic.